All experience is an arch, to build upon- Henry B. Adams


8.8.12

Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

So many of you, i'm sure, have been wondering whether these cleansing systems (re Clarisonic, Olay, Sigma etc) are really worth trying.

The main reason I even considered any one of these systems was for cleansing my skin after makeup. Many others look at the systems to minimize pore size, diminish redness, clear their acne etc.
Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System is one of the cheapest of the choices unless you want to shell out $120-$200USD on the Clarisonic.

I was not one of those people who felt it necessary or even easy to spend that much on something that may in fact screw up my skin and purge it to oblivion, so much so that I never come back from the trauma, or just not work as I want it to, SO I purchased the Olay system at CVS for $30USD!

I'll do a quick pro/con listing at the end, but first let me tell you about price, design, feel, effectiveness and whatnot ;)
There will be a lot of comparisons of course against the Clarisonic.




Battery Compartment

Please excuse the not so white coloured bristles: Evidently I use it.



PRICE:
At $30USD per unit this brush is one of the cheapest you can find.
Super affordable on any budget so if you try it and don't like it then you don't feel like you put out so much for so little.
Also at $11 for a pack of 2 replacement brush heads compared to the $40+ for the Clarisonic 2 pack brush heads/ $25 for 1 you even end up saving there!

DESIGN:
It has a slim handle so it's very easy to hold. It's smaller than the Clarisonic in width and it's also lighter.
The brush head snaps in easily and doesnt fall out. I had a bit of trouble with putting in the batteries (it comes with batteries) as there's no sort of latch or release button at the bottom of the device.
You have to pull it (or wiggle it out...both of which frustrated me to no end), and when I realised I was getting nowhere I got my boyfriend to do it and he got it open in seconds! It's a "technique". Unlike the clarisonic it is not "waterproof", it is "water resistant" meaning that you cannot submerge the Olay brush in a tub but you can easily use it in the shower so absolutely no worries there (unless you wash your face submerged in a pool of water...highly unlikely).
The brush also comes with TWO speed settings, something the Clarisonic Mia 2 has only now included as there was only one speed on the Clarisonic Mia.
The Olay brush also only has ONE type of brush head but it's quite soft. Maybe later on they will develop others if need be.
Also the cleansing brush from Olay uses oscilation unlike the Clarisonic which uses "sonic"/vibrations.


FEEL:
The brush rotates (as mentioned before) at two speeds. Depending on how "deep" you want to cleanse, you can adjust it to suit. I use the higher speed just because I like the feeling.
You don't need to press the brush into your face (light pressure will do), and because it rotates you can actually feel it on your skin unlike the Clarisonic which, even though it deep cleans, you can't realy FEEL it working.
I prefer feeling of the rotating brush than just passing a sonic brush over my face and hoping it works. Of course, because it rotates it is slightly more abbrassive than an sonic pulse but the Olay cleansing system isn't "rough" on the skin.
It's not too harsh at all and I have sensitive skin.
The brush head itself is relatively soft as well.


EFFECTIVENESS:

The very first time I used this cleansing brush was the night I got it of course...because I couldn't wait, plus it was the PERFECT time since I had a face full of makeup on for the entire day. I used it together with Philosphy Purity Made Simple face wash AFTER I removed my makeup with "actual" makeup remover (to normal people: oil, milk, wipes etc) and good Lord if you had seen that brush head afterwards! You would think makeup remover would actually remove your makeup.
HAHA NO.
I've tried it after using many different makeup removing methods etc and the result is the same: a dirty brush, tinted brown-ish with all the guck that was left on my skin. It honestly makes me feel more confident that I've removed all my makeup/cleansed my skin properly and even after a few months of use breakouts have almost completely ceased.
My skin feels smoother (and felt instantly smoother after the first time I used it) and cleaner.
My serum and moisturizer sinks in so much better and glides so much better onto my skin.
Some people may go through a skin purging process (as with the Clarisonic) where you make breakout after the first few uses. This is almost always the result of your skin pushing out all the nastiness from underneath. However if it persists you may be using the brush too often.
Some people may not be able to take daily use of the cleansing system because it may in fact be too harsh for your skin using it in that way.
It definitely deep cleans and removes excess dirt/makeup, it has made my skin smoother and allowed  to absorb/sink in quickly, and it hasn't made me break out.
If you are looking for something to "shrink" your pores, I can't really say in relation to the Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System as I haven't noticed any reduction in pore size, which could be due to the fact that I don't really have a problem with large pores.

**********************************

Pros & Cons:

PROS:
  1. Affordable (system and replacement heads).
  2. Easy to use.
  3. Small & light design.
  4. Uses batteries
    (easily replaceable compared to the Clarisonic where you have to replace the entire system once the battery malfunctions or stops charging).
  5. Water Resistant.
  6. Two speeds.
  7. Deep cleans effectively.

CONS:
  1. Only have one type of brush head.
  2. Water resistant (not really a con unless you're a mermaid).
  3. Uses batteries (some people may not like the idea).
  4. No brush cap/storage container to protect the brush/brush head (the Clarisonic comes with a brush cap & pouch).
  5. Comes in one colour.
**************************

If you're looking for a cleansing system/facial brush or just a good deep clean I would recommend trying the Olay cleansing system.
I would also say it's another must-have for those who wear makeup on a regular basis :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment